The success of a shipment depends on packaging quality. And when it comes to packaging products for transportation, crates become part of the process. Among the different types of crates, choosing the right one to transfer goods means saving costs and ensuring product safety.
But how do you pick the right crate for the job? Let’s find out.
Crates can be broadly classified into three categories based on the materials used. Plastic crates are the most common, followed by wooden, and then metal. Each type of crate presents its own benefits owing to its properties and construction.
Type - Foldable, Standard, Nestable Stackable, Crates with lids, Bottle Crates
- Easily customizable
- Quality of crate can be decided
- Usually made from High-Density Polyethylene to ensure strength and reusability
- Storage and transportation
- Organizing products in an assembly or production line
Industries - All, but most commonly used in: eCommerce, Auto Ancillary, FMCG, Retail, Pharma, Logistics, Consumer Durables
Advantages - Lightweight, assembly line compatibility, reusable, recyclable, cost-effective
Disadvantages - Weight-limit, not suitable for rough handling
Type - Open crates, Sheeted or closed crates
- Chemical and moisture resistant- Made of plywood or lumber
- Sheets allow tolerance to temperature changes
- Working with wet or chemical products
- For weather-proof protection- Shipping and transportation of food items
Industries - Agriculture
Advantages - Sturdy, customizable, stackable, reusable, eco-friendly, corrosion-free
Disadvantages - Low resistance to high temperatures
Type - Metal container, Cage
- Can have cleats for increased sturdiness- Made of steel or aluminium
- Strong, sturdy
- Protection from weather and tampering
- Handling delicate items like glassware, crockery, art and furniture pieces, etc.
- Stacking and storing products in an environment that's subjected to temperature variations or extreme temperatures
- Shipping and storage of sensitive material
- Transportation of pets
Industries - Wide-range of industries but frequently in: Food, Hardware, Glassware.
Limited use in certain industries such as: Pet, Logistics and Supply Chain
Advantages - Extremely robust, reusable, recyclable, weather-resistant
Disadvantages - Susceptible to moisture, Rigid, difficult to customize, expensive
Crates used in shipping often have a simple cuboid design. However, based on different factors— such as the contents to be transported, the destination and transit method, handling hazards, cost, and storage— different designs come into play. Let’s take a look at the popular types of crates used in the market today.
Best suited when:
Ideally suited for:
When to use:
Most used when:
When to use:
Perfectly suited to:
Ideally used when:
Crates come in all shapes, sizes, materials, and properties. Choosing the right crate for the job is about figuring out your shipping plan, budget, and analysing the product at hand. From the given types of crates listed above, standard, foldable, or stackable trays are the ideal choice to ensure safe transit.
If you'd like to learn more about the advantages and applications of different crates available, or would want us to help you with your crating needs, reach out to us. We're here to help.
Wish to add awesomeness to your already awesome crates? Track your inventory easily with RFID Enabled Crates: